Re: My TC So Far

You can get a lot of help by logging on to John Couture's excellent website.
He has a computer program that you can use free of charge.  You can do a lot
of "what-ifs" to see what works best for your application.

Calculate the impedance of your MOT transformer, and then select a cap
reactance value to give you 1.6 times the impedance match.

Dr. Resonance

 >    Well it's been almost a month since I started working on this project,
 > to build my first-ever TC. I've accomplished quite a bit over the past few
 > weeks, and certainly learned a lot in the process. Needless to say, I
still
 > have a lot of learning to do and I already see some potential mistakes I
 > may have made. My TC won't be ready to power up for a few weeks yet, but
 > here's the story so far.
 >
 >    The first thing I started working on was the secondary coil. I was
going
 > by the bit of knowledge I had at the time, based mostly on recommendations
 > from a few sites. I had originally planned to use a 2" form, but decided
on
 > 4" instead, to accomodate more windings. Now being the cheapskate that I
am
 > (and living so far out in the country), I didn't want to pay big bucks for
 > a piece of some exotic material. I chose PVC, since I've heard it's the
 > choice of most coilers. The nearest hardware store only sold PVC in 10'
 > lengths, and wanted almost $20 for a piece of 4" PVC. Not wanting to wait
 > that long or spend that much money, I hunted around in the storage
building
 > out back and lo and behold, found a 10' length of 4" PVC. But alas, it was
 > perforated (~2 holes per foot). So after cutting the piece to use for my
 > form, and cleaning it up, I cut a bunch of small pieces off the remaining
 > pipe and epoxied them inside my coil form. Once dry, I filled in the
 > shallow! cavities on the outside of the form with plastic wood, and
 > thoroughly sanded everything smooth. I pre-coated the form with 3 coats of
 > Minwax Helmsman (high-temperature spar urethane - I hear polyurethane
isn't
 > so good). It took me a week to build the winding jig, but once completed
it
 > worked like a charm. It was run by an old variable-speed sewing machine
 > motor, and controlled by a foot pedal from the same unit. I even added an
 > electronic counter (purchased for $3.99 at an auto parts store) to
 > precisely count the number of turns. The wire used was Elektrisola #27
AWG,