Re: magnetic fields in spark gaps

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq-at-uol-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: sean <sean-at-nc.rr-dot-com>
 >
 > If I put the sparkgap in a strong magnetic field.  Would this improve
 > quenching?

Some say that yes.
I tried to observe what happens with a DC spark from an electrostatic
machine. What I could observe was absolutely no effect, even with
magnets so strong that I can't separate two of them without tools.
With a continuous -strong- arc, the magnetic field may spread the arc
in two opposite directions (with AC current), contributing to its
dissipation. But I still have to see this actually happen.
Would someone have a picture showing this kind of effect? Or all is
really just talk?

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz