Re: Spark Gap Width

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 5/26/04 2:19:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
Original poster: "Daniel Barrett" <dbarrett1-at-austin.rr-dot-com>

      Chris, let me throw in that you can approach this the opposite way also:
With the gap directly across the xfmr as Matt describes, start with the gap
open (no arc) and then adjust the gap closer until an arc is struck. Turn it
off, open the gap just a bit more and you're done.
      Matt, the issue I was worried about is that you can strike an arc and
pull it out much longer than the initial strike distance, giving a setting
that is much too wide...
db

Hi db, Chris,

     You are correct about being able to draw out the arc longer, and any
real-time adjustment should be done from out to in. . I overlooked this
point since
1) I always bring power up with a variac.
2) I never adjust a gap while it is firing.

Matt D.