Re: Tesla Coil RF interference (humidity)

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Hi Gary, Dan, Brett,

I live in the metro-Memphis area in the TN/AR/MS tri-state area
and I used run my big Medusa Tesla coil inside an un-climate con-
trolled shop. The coil was operated in a pretty wide range of
temperature/humidity conditions. The temps ranged from from con-
siderably below freezing on the coldest winter days to well over
100 degrees with high humidity on the hottest summer days. I was
really unable to notice a significant difference in the output of
the coil from one atmospheric extreme to the other. Of course, I
had plenty of available power using a 10 kVA pole pig for the power
supply. I could consistantly get 8 to 10 ft streamers with about
7 to 8 kVA input and 82 nFD primary capacitance with a 9x30 toroid.
In SW Tennessee, winters are occasionally unpleasnatly cold and
springs can be quite stormy but the biggest weather woa would
probably be the 3-H summers - Hot, Hazy, and Humid. Even on the
most oppressive August afternoons, though, I could still get the
8 to 10 ft streamers from this coil. And  a typical 95 degree
day outside would translate to about 110 degrees inside the shop!

BTW, I experienced a little bit of south Florida's heat and humidity
a couple of years ago when I went to Ft. Meyers on vacation and
their heat didn't seem near as oppressive as the summer heat here
at home, probably due mostly to the persistant gulf breezes which
are totally lacking here.

David Rieben