Re: SSTC modelling- any math geniuses?

Original poster: "Daniel Barrett" <dbarrett1-at-austin.rr-dot-com>

Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 6:03 PM
Subject: RE: SSTC modelling- any math geniuses?

 > OTOH, the new DR and ISSTCs are capable of going "nuclear" when shorted
out
 > by an arc to ground. The low impedance at the resonator top transforms to
 > near infinite impedance at the base, and the tuned primary sees no load,
 > allowing the primary current to ring up without limit.
 >
 > We get round this one by running them in pulsed mode, ie the inverter
 > operates for say a 200uS burst every 10ms. Even if the secondary was
totally

     What if we used a microcontrol with something like the following
algorithm:

     1)  [power up] - At ludicrously low power, seek to the resonance of the
system.
     2) Run a short burst of full power and using lead/lag, correct Fo for
the streamer loading.
     3) Repeat step 2 a couple of times...
     4) Let her rip at full power, tuned very close, but not attempting to
track dynamically.
     5) Drop into a safe-area limiting control loop- drop the duty cycle as
needed while monitoring current...

        I'm kinda thinking about using this approach as a $2.50 PIC can
really babysit $50 MOS/IGBT/FETs very easilly.
But I haven't built an SSTC yet... Any merrit in this approach? Thoughts?
Comments? Anyone?

db