Panasonic MMC bit the dust...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

All,

Well, my Terry Fritz inspired MMC (made up of
Panasonic caps) finally died.  During a run of my 6"
system two days ago, I decided to open up the spark
gap a bit more than usual (which I've done many times
over the years) in order to force a few more inches of
output.  There was a flash and then yellow-orange
flame seen through the lexan window on my HDPE mmc
box.  I haven't really had time to do an autopsy or
even a close examination, but I will post pictures for
your enjoyment.

The one time I did glance at the caps, I noticed
several had cracked their sides...something that has
been happening to a lesser extent with a few of the
caps in the array for some time prior to this failure.

The most important thing to realize is that this is a
resonant system and I often push it to huge gap sizes
just to see if it will take it.  I have a pretty big
collection of components from home brew, ebay etc, and
for me, failures like this are fun an educational.
Also, this mmc has been working exactly as
is...untouched, in this same (and occationally other)
system for nearly *5 years* now!  For those who have
been on the list as long and longer than I have, you
will proabably remember several of my posts bragging
about the toughness and effciency of the Panasonic
MMC.  I wouldn't hesitate to use these caps again in
future MMC's.  If you look at my 6" coil stats on
hot-streamer, you will find that, yes I am running
Vpeak and peak current over specs.  Way over if you
factor in the measurments some have taken for voltages
in a resonant TC system.

Luckily I have several Maxwells waiting if I need to
see sparks while I have replacement caps shipped.
Finally, the perfect excuse to order Geek caps!

-Brett
http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/brett

PS:  I know I need to get rid of the 30 degree conical
primary in favor of flat.  The primary is the first
thing I constructed for this system, back when I was
in the initial stages of my TC research.