SSTC modelling- any math geniuses?

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

OK I messed up...

I have been corresponding with Richie and I am forced to admit the
"magnetizing current" model is a good one and the "leakage inductance" one
is a red herring. The model is described on his website.

We are now working on extending the model to DR/ISSTCs, and trying to factor
in a quantitative way of dealing with corona loading. We have already
figured out that the tuned primary works its magic by acting as an impedance
matching device and can be modelled as an L-match.

Now here is a question for the math geniuses... Can we take the corona load
impedance, as seen at the top of the resonator, and transform it to an
equivalent impedance at the base, using the well-known quarter wave stub
formula:

Zbase=(Zo^2)/Ztop

Where Zo is the characteristic impedance of the "transmission line", which I
suppose would be sqrt(L/C), L being the secondary inductance and
C=(Ctoroid+Cself+Ccorona)?

If so it all becomes rather nice and we can model the ISSTC after breakout
as an "antenna" with "radiation resistance", being base-fed from a
"transmitter" through a L-match "antenna tuner" :)))

There is the complication that the corona load varies with power as the
streamers get longer and hotter, but we'll burn that bridge when we come to
it :))))

Steve C.