Re: this was probably really stupid

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I'd imagine that nothing would occur. Folks who study
lightning and actually try and cause a strike use
small rockets with a long ground wire. They use lots
of instrmentation to measure the voltage potential,
and have to time it just right. Even then, it often
fails to cause a strike.

What could possibly cause lightning to favor a running
coil? If it's the high voltage, transmission lines
carry hundreds of thousands of volts, yet I've never
seen a pattern on the local news when they show plots
of lightning strikes.

Adam