Re: Tesla Coil RF interference 2

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"Original poster: "Gary Weaver" <gary350-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Transmitters use to be Spark Gap type transmitters way back when.  The
Titanic had a spark gap transmitter as I recall.  I wonder if an LC
circuit
could be attached to a TC spark gap and transmit on a certain
frequency.  I
just did some calculations and I get 900 MHZ with 1pf cap and 3 turns of
.018 dia. wire .125" OD .250" long.  Wonder if a cell phone would pick
that
up.  I might build an LC circuit on my TC for a certain radio frequency
and
see if it will transmit to a radio.   I did a little research on spark
gap
transmitters it seems to be only a spark gap connected to an LC circuit
with an antenna.   Simple technology.

Gary Weaver
gary350-at-earthlink-dot-net
Why Wait?  Move to EarthLink."

	I'm reading my mail late so there have probably been lots of answers to
this by now.  First of all, you do generate RF with a TC and, hooked to
a suitable antenna, could radiate a lot of power.  Result would be lots
of radio interference and, probably, a knock on the door sooner or
later.  Don't even think about it!

	As for the 900 MHz transmission, your proposed system wouldn't work.  A
6" long dipole, fed with voltage at the center and with a spark gap
across the connections, would generate very broad waves with a frequency
around 900 to 1000 MHz.  Almost exactly what Hertz did in some of his
early experimentgs.  The signal probably wouldn't be detectable in a
cell phone, which is specifically designed to reject such interference.

	I remember seeing a web page recently in which someone discussed
duplicating Hertz's experiments with modern equipment and a Google
search might find it.  I have tried transmitting at about 300 MHz and
could generate a detectable signal to about 50 feet from the antenna.

Ed