Re: Coil Form needed 2

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 08:14 AM 5/21/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>Schedule 40 doesn't signify that it's pressure rated.
>Schedule 40 PVC conduit is nonmetallic rigid
>electrical conduit, and clearly isn't intended for
>pressure applications. It's fine for secondary forms
>though.

Actually... Schedule 40,80, etc. refers to water pipe, which is pressure
rated, but more particularly, it refers to the physical size, i.e. the wall
thickness.  The OD of the pipe is the same for Sch 40, 80, etc., so that it
fits into the same fittings.

Rigid Electrical Conduit follows water pipe OD sizes (that is, 1/2" rigid
conduit has the same dimensions and thread as 1/2" water pipe), but doesn't
necessarily have the same ID or wall thickness or most important,
bendability.  Rigid conduit is intended to be bendable and formable, while
water pipe is not (i.e. water pipe is originally black iron pipe,
notwithstanding that you see a lot of galvanized pipe around, particularly
in smaller sizes).  Water pipe also often has a more obvious weld seam down
the inside, while electrical conduit usually does not.

When it gets to PVC electrical conduit vs water pipe, the physical
dimensions of the outside are the same, and, as a practical matter, the
wall thickness of PVC conduit is the same as Sch 40 water pipe, but I
wouldn't expect that this necessarily is mandated.  For water pipe, the
burst strength is important (so one could have a very strong, but thin
wall, and still call it Sch40, assuming it could be tapped with a standard
pipe thread and not fail). For electrical conduit, it's the wall thickness
and mechanical crush strength that are important.

The various schedules are different for various kinds of pipe (Cold water,
DWV, and SDR)

You think pipe sizes are bad, take a look at paper basis weights...