Re: New coil not working...

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Now for the specifics: I used the wiring shown on
 > this page:
 > http://www.deepfriedneon-dot-com/tesla_frame10.html
 > except that instead of
 > grounding one end of the secondary circuit (as I
 > have not yet constructed an
 > adequate gorund) I bent it up near the toroid.

My first suggestion is to use a real ground for the
secondary. Essentially you are trying to run yours
bipolar, with the result that it is a mile out of
tune. Sink a ground rod and ground your secondary.

 > I have
 > -a 9KV 30 mA transformer
 > -6 beer bottle leyden caps in a series with a

12oz beer bottles? 6 of them only gives you about 5nF.
Your 9/30 NST can easily charge a bigger cap of 9 to
13nF. 12 bottles will give you 10nF. More cap equals
bigger bang and better sparks.

 > close-to-saturated NaCl(aq)
 > solution inside and metal duct tape outside and a
 > layer of oil ranging from
 > 1/2 - 1 1/2 thick with a brass rod sticking into the
 > solution
 > -a primary coil of three braided enamelled copper

Braided? Braided wire is very lossy at RF. Try some
#12 or #10 solid conductor THHN wire. Strip a bit of
insulation off each turn for tuning.

 > magnet wires of #16 gage
 > in 10 flat spiderweb coils about 1/4" apart with an
 > inside diametr of 4" and
 > an outside diameter of I think 12"
 > -a secondary coil of ~1000 turns #24 gage enamelled
 > copper magnet wire
 > sitting in the centre of the primary coil about 3"-
 > 4" above it
 > -3 spark gaps in a series each of two small brass
 > "L" brakets facing like
 > this: "_| |_" one of which has an adjustable screw
 > -a toroidal discharge terminal of bendable heating
 > duct (ends held together
 > by a small piece of wood inside screwed into each
 > end around two aluminium
 > pie plates with theri bottoms together.
 > -a currently ungrounded strike rail of ~#18 gage
 > soft iron wire
 >
 > Now I know a host of things could be wrong, and I
 > haven't had time to play
 > with things such as the number of capacitors, the
 > distance of the S.G.
 > screws or the height of the secondary coil above the
 > primary, but this
 > project is due on Monday, and I wanted to present
 > this to you to give you
 > ample time to respond before then, in the case that
 > all I know amounts to
 > nothing. ;) So if anything I am doing jumps out at
 > you as being wrong,
 > please tell me.

For rough tuning, place a thumbtack--pointy side
out--on your toroid. In a darkened room, see if a bit
of purplish brush discharge forms at the point. Adjust
tuning little by little until the brush discharge
maxes out. Then try it without the tack.

 > Thanks in Advance,
 > Greg

Best Regards,

(The Other Greg)