Re: Inverse conical primary

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Sunday, May 9, 2004 12:31 pm
Subject: Inverse conical primary

 > Original poster: "levi Mccann" <levimccann-at-hotmail-dot-com>
 >
 > I am a newbie, and I like to do my homework (probably
 > overthoroughly).  I
 > came across a problem however.  I am building a conical primary
 > for my coil
 > and have researched proper angles for this.  Right now I cut my
 > material at
 > 45 degrees, but everywhere I look, people are saying don't go over
 > a 30
 > degree incline.
 >
 > Can somebody shed some light on this.  I do not want to go forward
 > and
 > mount my primary wire if I need a lesser slope.  What is a good
 > angle and
 > what determines this factor????
 >
 > Any help or suggestions would be great.
 >
 > --Levi......Keep throwing electricity!

Levi,

You probably  don't need any angle on your primary cone
and should probably abandon the "cone" altogether and go
for a simple, flat Archemedian spiral (pancake desing).
For most coil designs, a conical primary causes too much
pri/sec coupling and you'll only be frustrated by destruct-
ive racing sparks all up and down your secondary coil in-
stead of streamers off of your topload terminal. Most coilers
set the vertical placement of their flat priamry coil so
that the level of the primary is at or even slightly below
the level of the lowest secondary turn.

Good luck on your project,
David Rieben