Re: Buzzing sound in 12/30 Franceformer

Original poster: "Arpit Thomas" <arpit-at-inzo-dot-org>

I think perhaps the transformer overheated at some point; and melted some
of its potting. THis would have moved some potting around inside the
transformer, possibly allowing some turns to vibrate freely, causing the
buzzing.  If you have several non buzzy transformers, I'd suggest depotting
this one and playing around with it in oil; WHile it may work fine for a
while, you never know whether the winding is rubbing against some metal and
might short out.
Perhaps this transformer was in a small fire? that would explain the
overheating, and would also explain themelted path across the terminals, as
flames can sustain very long arcs- in an ethanol flame I got a flyback
transformer which could only spark 1 inch in air to spark 6 inchs.