Re: just a thought

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 7 May 2004, at 8:17, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Jimbo07031982-at-aol-dot-com
 >
 > Has anyone ever attempted to use 2 primary coil's mounting the first
 > one the usual way slanting up and the 2nd on top of it slanting
 > downwards the only real problem I see with this idea is the tuning for
 > it would take for ever. Just a thought.

I can't see any advantage and one of the obvious disadvantages would
be to reduce pri-sec clearances. A helical primary would be a much
better option. BTW, while I know they're not the flavour of the year,
they do work well and score better inductance of the money spent on
copper. The best coils I ever built all had helical primaries. It is
important to make the diameter at least 2x that of the secondary and
perhaps larger while getting the turn-turn spacing as small as
possible.

Malcolm