Re: Corrected di-el strength of gas

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi John,

Thanks for the table. However, there's apparently more to quenching than
can be gleaned by comparing relative dielectric strengths. Although
dielectric strength will provide an indication of the voltage standoff,
this parameter does not indicate how quickly a previously conducting spark
gap will recover its dielectric strength (i.e., how well it will quench).

For example, although hydrogen has only about half the dielectric strength
of nitrogen, it recovers more quickly from a plasma state to a
non-conductive state, giving it superior quenching ability. Hydrogen's
small molecules have a higher molecular speed so that heat can be removed
more quickly from a recovering gap. Hydrogen was used for high performance
multiple-gap switches for spark radio, and it's sometimes even used today
for special high-power high reprate spark gaps. Hydrogen and deuterium are
also the fastest "fill" gases available for high speed thyratron switches,
the low pressure evolutionary cousins of spark gaps.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP