RE: phase conversion

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Matt,

I've been talking to experts concerning three-phase power for some time.
The only way to get true three-phase power is to either buy it from the
utility company (and learn to continually balance the lines) or generate it
yourself with a true three-phase generator.

Phase converters allow you to run a three-phase motor using two of the three
phases.  In all cases, you end up with a silent leg (some call it a phantom
leg, it's all the same).  If all you want to do is run a three-phase motor,
that's fine, a phase converter will work.

I've been wanting to generate true three-phase power so I could produce a
rotating magnetic field from a stator without a rotor.  I still haven't
succeeded because I can't afford the expensive three-phase power from the
utility company or the expensive three-phase generators.

Well, I actually purchased three working 100kV three-phase generators from
the military for $25 at a military auction.  But the generators were so huge
I needed a flat bed semi to haul them and a pretty hefty forklift to move
them.  I ended up abandoning them.

Dave