RE: gmheicslr --- uh oh...once again!

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Steve,

 > Original poster: "Steven Ward"
 > <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>
 >
 > I actually did achieve over 13" sparks from a HEIC,
 > but it was not the
 > spec'd one, so i will not try and claim anything on
 > that, other than i
 > think its possible to get more ;-).

Yes, I remember when you did that.  Did you happen to
get any pics of that action?  Unfortunately I didn't
get any pics of my biggests Wells sparks since the
coil gave up the 'ol smoke before I had the camera
battery charged.

 > Anyway, about solid state stuff, check this out:
 >
 > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/srward16/HVpulser.htm

Yeah, I just looked at that the day before yesterday.
Like I said in my other message...I am *very*
impressed with the elegance of some of the stuff you
have there.  Lots of HV fun with minimal effort, yet
you have demonstrated a few things that seem to be
rather rare on the web.

 > The sidacs
 > are used as a solid state spark gap.  On the 5"
 > spark i had 5 series 240V
 > 1Arms 20Apk sidacs.

Explain to me what a sidac is?  I am familiar with
SCR's (used them a lot in gauss gun work)...and
IGBT's, but I haven't heard the term sidac, or seen
the schematic symbol before.  Is it another solid
state switching device with different
characteristics/specs than an SCR?

-Brett