RE: a check on specs please

Original poster: "Tom Luttrell PWRCOM" <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>

Richard, I had the same problem with my 3" coil.

The 20AWG is a recommendation based on 6x skin depth at the resonant
freq.

24 AWG will be fine, the losses in the static spark gap will probably
swamp the small loss obtained by using thinner wire for the secondary.

Plus if you change the wire size you will have to change the secondary
diameter to maintain 1000 turns and a 4-5:1 H:D ratio. This will change
the resonant frequency, the skin depth and probably the wire
recommendation again!

40tpi is about right for 24AWG, I used "heavy" insulated magnet wire in
my calculations here: http://www.classictesla-dot-com/java/cst.html

25 inches should give about 1000t (~40tpi), using single insulation
thickness you'd get about ~1100t.

Tom L.