Re: Transformer dissasembly

Original poster: "Steve Zeitler" <zeitler-at-verizon-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: Transformer dissasembly

 > Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds" <gerryreynolds-at-earthlink-dot-net>
 >
 > Another idea is to hack saw the core to separate the E from the I.  Of
 > course you lose the core :-((
 >
 > Gerry R
 >

 >  > Original poster: "Virtualgod" <mike.marcum-at-zoomtown-dot-com>
 >  >
 >  > If the laminations are interleaved back and forth, you're in for alot
of
 >  > elbow grease. The way I used to do it (nowadays I'm
lazy/time-constrained,
 >  > so I buy fresh ones) is put the core in a vise, pull/chisel out the
wedge
 >  > holding the windings, and pry the laminations apart 1 at a time and
pull
 >  > them out with pliers. You'll probably chew up the first few until
there's
 >  > enough room to slide them out easily. I don't see how a machine can
throw
 >  > these together with any speed. If it's a really big core (100's of
EI's)
 >  > it'll take a few hours.

Jeeeeeez
taking apart the interleaved Es and Is. I tried it once and the laminations
never laid flat again. I got lucky and found a couple candidate transformers
for rewinding and the cores were in 2 pieces... the E stack and the I stack.
The time was in winding 2- 9000 turn secondaries (9000v ea w/o ballasting).
I t took 40-50 hrs apeice as I recall. The finished xformers worked in daily
TC use for 8years. 1 is still fine and I might use it for another smaller
coil. I would use the core and primary winding from the fried one as a
ballast inductor in this case.
                                                   Steve Z