Re: rail gun demo

Original poster: dave pierson <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

I have been TOLD (not tried) that a rail gun (of limited performance)
can be done with:
    3 feet (1 m) HO gauge RR track
    12V car battery
    A bit (an inch or so) of copper wire, about #14.
    OBSERVE HIGH ENERGY PRECAUTIONS!

    Heavyish leads from battery to track.
    Heavyish switch/contactor to control.
    Place wire about 6" down the track.
    Stand clear.
    Energize.
    (I disrecall which way it travels.  8)>>  Left Hand Rule Applies.
    If wire 'projectile' moves wrong way, load from other end...)
    (Better results can be had with an HO ga wheel set, if it is made
    conductive....)

Again:
    I've NOT tried this.
     (   But it should work....)(