Re: sphere within a sphere

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "steve" <steve_vance-at-cablelynx-dot-com>
 >
 > Has anyone heard of this.
 >
 > http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3804496648
 >
 >   To go from 24" to 37" is a big improvement.
 > I don't see how this could improve spark length If the coil was
 > properly tuned to begin with. Someone please enlighten me.

My first impression is that this would have no effect, but...
The coil is connected to the inner sphere, with the outer sphere
floating. So, the breakdown voltage of the system is determined
by the inner sphere. When the inner sphere sparks to the outer
sphere, it will discharge very quickly, with all the charge
moving to the outer sphere through the spark and redistributing
there. This may cause intense transients as the charge redistributes
around the outer sphere, maybe promoting streamer formation.
Possibly equivalent to have a breakout point, but with the point
moving randomly around the sphere.
May be worthwhile to try.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz