Re: No collapsing magnetic field? (was Winding primary)

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Randy & Lori" <rburney6-at-comcast-dot-net>
 >
 > I think I have figured out where we aren't understanding each other.
 > It's the time frame.  You are explaining the "Big picture", and I'm
 > thinking of an inductor with a single 1/4 cycle of decaying current
 > (with time constants).  Does high frequency do something different to
 > the magnetic field of an inductor?

If the current in an inductor is changing, there is voltage over it.
The voltage can be calculated by the effect of the inductor itself
(v=L*di/dt), or by the effect of the external circuit. Both give
the same answer.
The characteristics of an ideal inductor are independent of the
frequency, but in a real inductor, at some frequency the effects
of distributed capacitance starts to appear, and there is also
an increase in the losses due to skin and proximity effects in
the wire and of irradiation. This is easily seen in the secondary
of a Tesla coil, that is an inductor that resonates with distributed
capacitances, and where the loss is much greater than what would
be expected from the DC resistance of the wire alone.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz