Re: Cap size for pig?

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Well, first, we didn't include MOTS, PTs, or pole mount transformers (PDT)
because those are highly variable, whereas NSTs are pretty well
defined.  We also rather felt that people constructing TCs from PTs or PDTs
ought to know enough about TC design to get in the ballpark as far as MMC
design goes.  In fact, we (I) get more MOT MMC questions than PT or PDT MMC
questions, and have only been asked once or twice for advise on an MMC for
a PDT (and IIR was more of a "I was thinking....  does this sound
good?").  The "preferred" cap size for a PDT is completely dependent upon
the PDT's voltage and the ballast settings, the latter of which is
virtually infinitely variable.

Using a triggered spark gap, either triggered or SRSG, allows for very
precise timing of the gap firing, which is necessary to prevent a static
spark gap from premature breakdown.  I don't fully understand why it all
works, but it does.  Hopefully someone else can answer the LTR sizes
question more fully.

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group