RE: Tesla Coil Grounding

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 08:19 AM 16/03/04 -0700, you wrote:

 >Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
 >
 >One technique that you could use when connecting the secondary ground (i.e.
 >the RF ground) to the safety (i.e. green wire) ground is to connect it via
 >a choke that has high impedance at 50 kHz (i.e. the TC operating frequency)
 >but low impedance at 60 Hz.  The choke should be able to take the full
 >fault current of the HV side of the transformer.
 >
 >This way, if you get a primary to secondary short, via either dropping
 >something conductive on it (it happens!) or with a streamer connecting in
 >an ugly way, you've got a low impedance ground for the 60 Hz. component.
 >The choke will keep the RF out of the building safety ground system.

Hi Jim, Coilers,

That's sounds like a workable idea that I'll have to try when the cold
weather finally departs from Southern Ontario and I can resume coiling
once again.  A large gauge wire wound onto an old ferrite or powdered
iron toroidal core comes to mind, provided that the right properties
are chosen for the frequencies in question.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle