Re: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"Ed -

I have tried several techniques to find the wattage of the TC without
using
a wattmeter but with little success. I would be interested in hearing of
anything you may have tried that looked promising.

Years ago I saw an article describing a method that electric utility
lineman
used to measure the power factor on a distribution line. The test
required
only a voltmeter and power capacitor. If you had the power factor and
you
knew the current (clip-on ammeter) you could easily find the wattage.

John Couture"

John:

	I don't know of any replacement for a wattmeter in this application.
The line voltage is relatively sinusoidal while the line current will
tend to be a series of sinusoidal pulse coinciding with the charging of
the primary capacitor and I don't know of anything other than a true
electrodynomometer type instrument which will do it.  With sinusoidal
voltage and current it's easy enough, but the input to a TC power
transformer doesn't approximate that very well.  Will research.

Ed