From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 8:08 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: TC Spark Energy

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 11 Mar 2004, at 22:56, Tesla list wrote:

  > Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
  >

  > Malcolm -
  >
  > Note that it is the energy in the spark that we are after not voltage.
  >
  > Efficiency = energy out/energy in
  >
  > The problem is to find the energy to produce a spark of a certain
  > length with a certain TC of a certain design.
  >
  > John Couture

When you are talking spark length, voltage is most certainly one of
the dependencies. 1J at a voltage of 1V is not going to produce a
terribly long spark. Neither for that matter is 1MJ. One of the expts
I suggested to Marco should help in determining just how important
voltage is beside the other factors, particularly in repetitive
operation.
      A low capacitance (read "small") coil pumped with 1J can be made
to produce the same voltage and single shot sparklength as a much
larger, higher capacitance coil fed with 10J.

Malcolm