From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 10:05 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Pig setup help.

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Gerry,

Tesla list wrote:

 >Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds" <gerryreynolds-at-earthlink-dot-net>
 >Hi Bart, John and others,
 >
 >This issue of whether to ground the transformer case (whether it be a
pig or
 >NST) to mains ground or dedicated RF ground seems to be a reoccuring
 >question that I think has no right or wrong.  I know there are opinions
on
 >both sides and valid ones.  Each solution has its benefits and problems
and
 >how one treats this issue depends on how they define their system.  The
 >following are the benefits and problems as I see them:
 >
 >Transformer grounded to mains ground (green wire):
 >
 >Benefit:  transformer fault (like primary to case short or secondary to
case
 >short) may draw excessive current and blow breaker (note that the
balast for
 >a PIG or PT may not allow this to happen unless ground fault protection
is
 >used).  Case is safer, however one still has the bushings that can
kill.

 >Disadvantage:  A strike to the TC primary (transformer secondary) could
 >flashover to the case and thus the mains ground and kill sensitive
 >components (TV, stereo, etc) also plugged into the mains.

It is possible, but this is true with both configurations, including
floating configurations. The lowest impedance will feel the brunt of the

hit. Also, consider strike rings tied to rf ground (for all those folks
who
use them).  A probability factor comes into play by an increase
frequency
of hits (and you will get an increase in primary directed hits if a
strike
ring is used, and at times, the primary will get hit as well (especially

for coils with poor field control). I just prefer to minimize the
possibility's.
Take care,
Bart

 >Transformer grounded to dedicated earth ground (aka RF ground):
 >
 >Benefit: a strike to TC primary that results in flashover to
transformer
 >case will directly return to the secondary ground and not contaminate
mains
 >power.
 >
 >Disadvantage:  transformer fault could result in a HOT case and no
blowing
 >of the breakers if the dedicated earth ground is not adequate.  If
adequate,
 >the protection should be just a good as mains ground, but still no
 >guarantees for the balasted pig or PT unless ground fault protection is
 >used.
 >
 >I think one should define danger zones in their system design.  If the
 >transformer is within the danger zone,  grounding to the dedicated
earth
 >ground is OK.  If outside the danger zone, the transformer should be
 >grounded to mains ground and the bushings protected from accidental
contact.

 >One persons opinion,
 >Gerry R

 > > Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>
 > >
 > > Hi Randy,
 > >
 > > Grounding the case to mains ground is for safety. All equipment with
 >direct
 > > feeds should have their case connected to mains ground (this
includes the
 > > transformer). In the event of a fault, we don't want the case at a
 > > potential that could be lethal. Should there be a fault, the mains
breaker
 > > will trip and remove all power.
 > >
 > > Take care,
 > > Bart
 > >
 > > Tesla list wrote:
 > >
 > > >Original poster: "Randy & Lori" <rburney6-at-comcast-dot-net>
 > > >Bart,
 > > >
 > > >Why the "mains" ground? I have read:
 > > >2 or 3 RF Grounds
 > > >1 Mains Ground