Re: Magnetic quenching.

Hi Sean and John,

The following, I think, may be a variation to your idea John.  Lets have a
double triggered magnetic quencing system.  Lets say the first trigger
occurs when the spark gap fires.  Maybe a current transformer of a sort can
provide the trigger.  This trigger fires a one shot that has its timing set
to finish by 1st primary notch (or 2nd if we choose).  The trailing edge of
the one shot then fires a second one shot that turns on a magnetic quencher
(electro magnet powered by a DC supply perhaps) for a certain period.  This
way, magnetic quenching can begin at 1st notch and end when its safe to not
reignite (inhibit time).  Certainly, there is no current flow at 1st notch,
but if any current were to flow during the inhibit time, the H field would
disrupt it (at least that's the idea).

Challenges are to design the magnetic quenching circuit that has adequate
response time and the shielding for the monostables.  If this could be
built, one could experiment with 1st, 2nd, or 3rd notch quenching.

Gerry R