Re: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"Do a web search for Poulen Arc for some very fascinating reading from a
by-gone era.  There was an experimenter in New Jersey I believe who
succeeded im making a Poulsen Arc powered Tesla coil.  The List archives
also has some information, and even the beginnings of a Poulsen Arc
Club.
The latter has fizzled into obscurity as has the Poulsen Arc concept.

--Steve Y."

	I corresponded with the guy for a while but lost touch.  It's not too
hard to build an arc oscillator, but to get one to operate stably at
high power is another matter.  Somewhere I have a picture (maybe of
Pulsen's lab, can't remember) showing what is obviously a "CW" tesla
coil operating to one side.  That would be circa 1906 so the concept
isn't new.  Of course, the "conventional" spark gap TC is infinitely
easier to build and operate.

Ed