From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 12:51 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Arc and heat.

Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>

I was playing with an idea.  I put together some copper fittings to form
an
elongated loop.  I used one side of the loop as an electrode of a spark
gap
then used a piece of copper tube for the other electrode.  These were
situated like a parallel pipe gap.
                    ____________
      /   /       /    ________    /
      /   /       /   /              /   /
      /   /       /   /              /   /
      /   /       /   /              /   /
      /   /       /   /              /   /
      /   /       /   /________/   /
      /   /       /_____________/
Copper            Copper Loop
Pipe

The intent was to fill the loop with a fluid (start with water) and
apply
some sort of cooling to the side of the loop that was not being used as
an
electrode (thinking of Peltier device).  The heat generated from the gap

would cause the fluid to rise on that side of the loop and the cooling
would cause the fluid to sink on that side.  This would set up a current
in
the loop circulating the fluid for me.  This way I could compare the
heat
effects of the pipe verses the loop.

Any way I started playing with it with no water in it.  I let it run for

about 2 minutes and found the copper pipe to be much hotter than the
loop.  I figured this was due to the loop having more thermal mass.  So
turned it on and played with the spark for about 20 minutes.  Then I
found
the loop side had heated up but still not nearly as much as the copper
pipe.  Got an infrared thermometer on order so it's the touch it and see
if
it leaves a mark method for now. J

So this makes me want to play around with how much cooling can be
obtained
with thermal mass.  The cooling I want to apply may not be necessary.
But
might due it for fun one day (curious to play with a peltier device).

Here is the question for those of you that may have been where I am now.
If I had a 12KV 60ma NST hooked up to a gap of 0.25" would it generate
more
heat in the gap if a tesla coil was hooked to it or if the gap were ran
by
itself?  I am assuming by itself would generate more heat since there is
no
other place for power to be dissipated if the gap is all that is in the
circuit.

Thanx

Luke Galyan
Bluu-at-cox-dot-net