RE: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Marco,

Today I built a spark gap out of two 3/4" diameter tungsten carbide balls
(ordered through McMaster Carr).  The balls were brazed to 1/8" thoriated
tungsten welding rods.  I have a photo of the spark gap, but my host is
being hit with a denial of service attack.

I suspected that spherical geometry of the spark gap terminal would increase
the efficiency.  I was right.  It makes a big difference (based on
observations of the spark.)  I tried the same experiment I did yesterday.
Without the magnets and with the gap set at 1/2", I turned the variac up all
the way and no spark.  I tried 4/10" and 3/10" gaps an no spark.  At 2/10"
gap it fired at 85 volt on the variac.  The spark didn't extinguish until
the potential was down to 48 volt on the variac.

I then tried the experiment with the magnets.  At 2/10" the gap fired at 82
volt on the variac and extinguished at 55 volt.  The spark window is much
smaller with the magnets.

The difference in the appearance of the spark between the magnetic and
non-magnetic quenched gaps was dramatic.  In the non-magnetic gap the spark
arched softly like a Jacob's Ladder spark.  It would begin at the closest
contact between the spheres and then travel outward toward the furthest
point of contact between the spheres.  The spark actually traveled well
beyond 90 degrees of the sphere (closer to 160 degrees).  The spark was tube
like with each end of the tube touching a sphere.

With the magnetic quenched gap, the spark looked like a circular plane.  The
perimeter of the circle moved up and down while the center remained more or
less between the closest points of the spheres.  The circular plane was a
light blue color.  In the center of all this there were two distinct yellow
sparks that joined parallel to each other between the spheres.  In other
words, there were two distinct types of sparks occurring between the spheres
at the same time.

Now I need to setup a Tesla coil and run it with the different types of
spark gaps to see what effect there is.

Dave