Re: Converting to "Pig Power"

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Randy,

 From your specs, it sounds like a 20A General Radio Co. variac (plate on
bottom where the wiper contacts winding?). If your looking at over 20A on
the pig (probable), you'll have a hard time using it. I have a couple of
these and even tried cutting the core on one of them. It went into
over-saturation almost immediately (was using 10kva pig at the time). I
just went hunting for a larger variac and found the 30A type of which I cut
the core (that worked out ok). If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time
cutting the core on this small variac. You wouldn't gain much. Better off
just going in search of a larger variac or alternate source of inductive
ballasting.

Take care,
Bart