RE: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi David,

 > Dave, what power level have you used your magnetically quenched gap?
 > Also, have you used a gap like this on a PT or other non-shunted
 > transformer? I have 4 1" cube NdFeB magnets I am interested in using for
 > this application. They can easily lift 80-90 lbs.

I don't, as yet, have a direct way for measuring the power of my coil.

I have used this spark gap on a potential transformer.  It was two years
ago, however, when I was trying all kinds of arrangements.  I can't remember
the exact effect it had with the PT, but I do remember none of my runs with
the PT were satisfactory.  Either the coil drew too much current through the
transformer or the inductive ballast I made had too much inductance and
wouldn't allow any current through.  The problem was most likely my lack of
understanding of how to balance the transformer load.  I decided at that
time to leave the PT alone until I developed the skill to use it properly.

Dave