RE: Please help ! IGBT exploded ...

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >Is the technique your suggesting one GDT with a three state drive ie +,0,-
 >which correspond to: one side on, all off, other side on respectively.

Yes

 >Presumably the disadvantage is that the IGBT are turned off with a 0v gates
 >signal as opposed to a negative signal. Is this correct?

Yes, this is correct. The IGBT will not turn off quite as fast as it would
if it got the negative signal. You have to decide whether the faster
turn-off time is worth the extra complexity of a full set of isolated gate
drives. From what I've seen it isn't really an issue with modern IGBTs, they
are very fast even with an 0v gate signal, but for older devices it might be
worthwhile.

Steve C.