Re: Please help ! IGBT exploded ...

Original poster: Jan Wagner <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Tesla list wrote:
 > Original poster: "Rajesh Seenivasan" <rajeshkvs-at-hotmail-dot-com>
 >
 > The gate driver chips are really good, but I am not able to find any dealer
 > in my place who will sell me one or two chips.
 > (The minumum quatity should be greater than 50 and its always costly).

If you can't find a dealer (well, DigiKey probably has them, though I
don't know about minimum order size)... You can still request free(!)
samples from TI directly, even as a private persion i.e. not as a company.
Samples typically arrives at your doorsteps in one week or earlier.

http://focus.ti-dot-com/docs/prod/folders/print/ucc37322.html#samples

If you haven't experience soldering surface mount components, I'd
recommend you click on the "Request samples" on the right end of
the line with UCC37322P (PDIP)

The UCC27322 is almost the same as the UCC37322, so if 2..3 samples of
either one aren't sufficient you can still add the other part too ;-)

 > Could you please give me the circuit of gate driver using only
 > discrete components ?

There are some, but as far as I understand none will really work well at
increasing frequencies and high peak currents - that's the benefit of
chip fabbed gate drivers. There's one standard circuit at
   http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/sstc01.gif
which should work very nicely, and does the GDT-shorting thingy too.

regards,
  - Jan

--
  Helsinki University of Technology
  Dept. of Electrical and Communications Engineering