Re: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "Christopher 'CajunCoiler' Mayeux" <cajuncoiler-at-cox-dot-net>
>Upon reflection of posts past, I remembered there was some talk of
>magnetic quenching for static gaps.  Would the toroidal magnets
>pulled from a magnetron tube be good for this purpose?  If so, how
>would one go about positioning them correctly in relation to the gap?

I am also interested - I believe that this thread "fizzled out" last
time.  I had even collected a large number of magnetron magnets, although
these are now in service on our refrigerator door.

Tackled magnets in grammar school (high school) physics, but hardly touched
on them doing EE at college, except in specific applications.  In other
words, I can remember very little about them.

I assume that the amount of quench would be directly proportional to the
amount of magnetic flux.  How does one increase the flux - stack of magnets
in series with iron pole pieces to either side of the gap?

Trick question: does the north of a compass needle point to the north or
the south pole of a magnet?  I would say it would point to the SOUTH of the
magnet.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith