Re: Immersing electronics in 10W-30?

Original poster: Jerry Chamkis <jchamkis-at-bga-dot-com>

I've immersed equipment in 10W-30 and had it attack the tin plating on the
(homemade,  not tin-lead as on a commercial board) traces.  It was in there
for a few months and the traces looked rather nasty.  Didn't attack any
plastic parts over that interval but I don't have an inventory of what kinds
of plastics (besides Fiberglas) that were in there.  Somebody once told me
vanilla motor oil tends not to attack plastic because they use neoprene seals
in the engines.

HTH-

Jerry

--