Re: MMC or Maxwell? Which is better?

Original poster: "Crow Leader" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: MMC or Maxwell? Which is better?

 > Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>
 >
 > Ken,
 >
 > The dielectric system was polypropylene film and kraft paper immersed in
 > fairly aromatic dielectric fluid. The kraft paper was apparently used to
 > facilitate wicking of dielectric fluid inside the capacitor rolls during
 > manufacture.

Vacuum impregnation or etched film is for getting impregnant inside the cap.
General Atomics wanted paper in the cap they made for me, to somehow reduce
stress on the dielectric film. Some other caps that are "tesla coil"
copatible I have are lower voltage caps with straight polypropylene film and
silicone impregnant. Utility company power factor caps have the largest
winding sections I've seen in high voltage caps, and they are able to
completely impregnate them without paper, which seems impressive.

This rotation process seems pretty unique. All the catalogs for high voltage
liquid filled caps I see state any operation orientation is acceptable,
since they either don't have any air in them, or just a small bubble of air.
The general atomics cap I have has a small air bubble that you can see up on
the terminal section, it doesn't seem large enough to cause anything to ever
dry out. All the metal canned caps are apparently air-less and therefor
bubble free. Even large canned electrolytic caps (with the exception of
"long life" units from Evox) are full of air and have no free fluid
splashing around. Electroyltics depend on the paper being wet to function
properly, drying out would destroy them. This doesn't seem to happen unless
the can leaks.

KEN