Re: Pole Pigs from power company?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 4:08 PM
Subject: Re: Pole Pigs from power company?

 > Original poster: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18-at-hydrogen18-dot-com>
 >
 > I dont see how they can require you to dispose of it, you only get fined
if
 > you dump it on the ground. It would be slightly crazy to make you dispose
of
 > it

They can require you to dispose of it because Federal (and most state) law
says they can.  Well, there IS another alternative.  You can set up all the
equipment, facilities and recordkeeping for hazardous materials.  That would
include sealed platforms, berms to contain a possible spill (with allowance
for rainwater too), a whole shelf full of procedures and manuals for
handling, Personal Protective Equipment suitable for handling a hazmat
spill, etc.

There are too many cases of unscrupulous folks just happening to
accidentally on purpose spill things like this in the back of their truck
driving down the road, or, oops it fell in the ditch out back, and next
thing you know, it's Love Canal or that town in Mississippi where they
bought the entire town, scraped up the top 3 feet of dirt and shipped it off
to a hazmat facility.

As a practical matter, whether it's actually safe or not (I'm not going to
get into that), the potential hassles are great enough that you don't want
to fool with it.  It's one thing to accidentally come by some equipment that
may or may not be contaminated.  It's entirely another to have a paper trail
pointing the giant fickle finger of fate right at you.