Re: Brass Corona Rings

Original poster: Chris Arnold <xiterion-at-xedoloh-dot-com>

David,

<snip>
>possible to anneal it.  I know you can soften copper by heating it to a
>red heat and quenching it on water (works the opposite of tempering
>steel).  I'm not sure the same works for brass, it being an alloy, but a
>metalworking reference might be able to help you out there.
</snip>

Quenching is not necessary to anneal copper or brass, although it does
hasten the cooling time so you can get back to working on whatever you're
making at the moment.  It's the heating to a specified temperature that's
important.  In my experience it is extremely difficult to form soft brass
or copper into something resembling a nice shape, but then again with the
proper tools and a little patience that can be accomplished.  Oh, and yes
hard drawn brass can be annealed quite easily in the same fashion as copper.

Chris Arnold