Re: 300 bbs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 9:43 PM
Subject: Re: 300 bbs

 > Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>
 >
 > I got to thinking  ( uhoh) and the original question was about 300BPS
being
 > a SRSG...   how can a SRSG be synchronized at other than 100 or 120 Hz if
 > running on wall current? ????

300 bps = 5 breaks per 60 Hz cycle... at 1800 RPM, that would be 10
electrodes around the disk, with 3600 RPM (i.e. 60 rev/sec) it would take 5
electrodes.

It's straightforward to get almost any arbitrary rate, as long as it's a
multiple of say (line freq/4)... At some point, it gets hard to get
multipole motors (for 60 Hz, 1200, 1800, and 3600 would be easy.. in
physically small motors, 600 RPM would be tough, although there are some
Slo-Syn type motors that have lots of poles... and, after all, clocks run at
1 rev/sec).. The limit starts to be how many electrodes you put in the disk.

There's also some tricks with using multiple disks, or offset electrodes.

And, finally, there's always the timing belt and pulley approach.