exploding capacitors

Original poster: "Steve Zeitler" <zeitler-at-verizon-dot-net>

I'm reading all these postings about caps blowing up. Being the keeper of a
medium size coil in a commercial setting, naturally i don't want this to
happen to me (caps blowing up)
The latest post mentions an asyncronous rotary gap being used  causing the
failure. I've not heard of this before and the coil I mention has one. Is
this bad and why?
Also, the "cap" in this coil consists of 4 .1uf 30kv plastic cap brand 2 in
series on each side of the primary giving .025uf  at 120kv. An old Ham
radio manual I have shows using resistors in parallel with caps when they
are hooked in series to equalize the voltage each cap sees. I'm not doing
this right now should I? I'm running 11-12kv after ballasting and I'm in
the process of upgrading to 2 potential transformers instead of 2 homemade
ones. The voltage is about the same but the delivered current is higher.
This allows me to run the rotary gap much faster ...more PPS. comments?
                                                    Steve Z
                                                     Philly