Re: How are 240 VAC variacs made?

Original poster: Sean Taylor <sstaylor-at-uiuc.edu>

>In a three phase variac, they are usually connected in Wye (star), with the
>low ends of the variacs tied together, even if the supply is delta fed. If
>you hook three variacs in delta, all moving the wiper(s) does is change the
>relative phase between the input and output, but the voltage remains the
>same. (draw a little picture/schematic, and this is obvious... three wires
>in and three wires out)

HEY!! There's an idea for a phase controller for a SRSG should one happen
to be using a 3 phase system - one could also use a 3PDT relay to extend
the range.  I suppose a similar thing could somehow be done on single
phase, just a matter of figuring out exactly how - I'll have to think about
it a bit.  Okay, thought about it while writing the email . . . if two
variac are ganged, and wired opposite each other (so as the knob is turned,
one wiper goes towards neutral, the other towards hot), the two wipers will
change phase by (I think) 180 degrees across the entire range.  The benefit
is you don't have to worry about having the right size capacitor - just
plug in any motor and go, the obvious downside is a second variac!

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL