Re: power v energy measurements, was Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

Original poster: "John Couture" <johncouture-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Gerry -

Congratulations. You have beaten my TC spark record.
How did you measure the sparks?
What were the parameters of your coil?
You have found that the coil size makes a big difference.

You do not double the spark length if you double the joules. It is the coil
that determines how much the spark increases in length (if I understand you
correctly).

This method gives a known amount of input energy for each spark at a certain
length. This is not possible with random length sparks. You can then make a
fair comparison of  TC's  with this method.

There is much more to consider. Do you have any suggestions for improving
this method of comparing TC's?

John Couture