Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

In general, I support standard methods of measuring things.  The controlled
single bang spark length that John Couture is fond of is find in so far as
it goes.  It certainly is a measure of how well a charged Cp with a certain
bang energy results in a spark of a certain length, but this is only part of
the story.  It does nothing for characterizing streamer growth due to
multiple bangs nor the accumulative effect that multiple bangs have on the
sparkgap efficiency (heating and quenching for example).

Gerry R.

 > Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>
 >
 > But I still think, from experimental evidence, that power is a better way
of
 > rating things. Freau's formula (spark length that you get about once a
 > minute= 1.7* square root of power input) works remarkably well.
 >
 > It works because the spark length, though random, obeys statistical laws.
So