Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

Original poster: "John Couture" <johncouture-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Steven -

I assume you have read my post to Gerry which mentions peak powers, etc,
etc. You are the first to mention power factors. In Gerry's post I was
referring only to power as wattage at 100 percent power factor. When power
factor is brought into the picture things get even more complicated. If
power factor is involved things are a lot less complicated if energy is used
to rate Tesla coils.

Power is equal to Volts times Amps or VA. If the VA is in watts the power
factor is 100 percent. Normally when only VA is mentioned the  power factor
is something less than 100 percent. Of course coilers don't always stick to
this convention which again confuses the TC power rating. Here again there
can be confusion when rating a TC in power. There is less confusion if the
TC rating is in energy as watt seconds or joules.

With Tesla coils the bottom line is

      Power output can be greater than power input
      Power is in watts, average watts, peak watts, volt amps, etc.
      Energy output can not be greater than energy input
      Energy is in watt seconds or joules

The power input can be in many forms as I mentioned in my post to Gerry.
The energy input can be in only one form and that is watt seconds (joules).

Power factor is involved with TC power ratings
Power factor is not involved with TC energy ratings. Why??

Power factor is due to reactive components in the TC. These components
produce reactive powers. Energy is not involved with reactive powers. Refer
to my post to Gerry where I show what happens when the wattmeter is used as
an energy meter.

I hope I haven't muddied the waters again.

John Couture