Re: Jim Mitchell SSTC help!

Original poster: Fucian-at-aol-dot-com

Hey,
I have the same board and mine works great. Mine was working awful until i
made some mods to it though. It sounded just like yours....

1st-Throw out the 555...You wont need it after im done with ya ;-)

2nd-Place a jumper wire from pin 3 of BOTH UCC chips. This is the enable pin.
3rd- Build an interruptor based on the 555 seperate from board. Run a wire
from its output to the jumper wire connecting your UCC chips.You can use
the 5volt reg to power your interruptor as well. there is an empty hole
that will allow you to run a wire this way. This interruptor will save your
UCCs as well as your bridge and give you much better output!

4- Put a small heatsink on top of the UCC chips and make sure your
regulators have good sized heatsinks, just incase yuo go nuts and turn up
the interruptor too much;-)

5-Check your GDT waveforms again and MAKE sure you are getting a decent
wave...Also, make sure the GDT is phased right. If not, you will burn
things up.

I am currently running a fullbridge of IRFP460s with this driver. It rarely
gets warm, even at high power. I have a small(4in by 9in-28awg) secondary
and a 3 turn primary. I am getting about 12in max POWERFUL arcs. UCCs get
warm. Whats your half bridge look like?

I am here to help in any way possible!Hang in there, Jim's baord does work.
Matt