Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

Original poster: "John Couture" <johncouture-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Steve -

Congratulations on your getting 10 foot output sparks from your SSTC coil
with 4800 watts input. Do you know that the power output of your Tesla coil
can be much greater than the power input? In other words the output power of
your
TC can be much greater than the input of 4800 watts. This means the power
efficiencies (power output/power input) of your TC  can be well over 100
percent. It is very difficult if not impossible to determine the true power
input or power output for a particular output spark. The ratio of power
output to power input is mostly an unknown for TC's. To my knowledge no
coiler has ever properly made these measurements.

  This is why it makes more engineering sense to use energy input and energy
output in rating TC's. The energy efficiency is then equal to energy
output/energy input. This efficiency is always less than one or 100 percent
and can be measured as I have shown in the past.

As a final comment and to avoid muddying the waters I believe the statement
"4800 watts input for a 10 foot spark" is an acceptable wording for rating
TC's in a free speech country. The pictures of those sparks show that no
matter what you call them they represent a great achievement in Tesla coil
progress for SSTC's.

John Couture