From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2004 5:17 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: ISSTC Components

Original poster: "john cooper" <tesla-at-tesla-coil-dot-com>

Most of these parts I purchased from other distributors.  I work for a
stocking electronic components distributor and have accounts with just
about every other disty and manufacturer in the country (and many outside
the U.S.).  The IGBT's and one other, so far, were sampled.  There's a few
disties that have relevant parts that we have a special relationship with
and I get nice pricing from them, a few will actually ask me what I want to
pay for them and that's the price I get!  I'm also interested in trading
parts.  Most of these components don't really cost much, pennies, but try
and buy 2, it can be nearly impossible, I suppose some of those could be
sampled but I'd rather just place an order for 100 for $2.00.  Also, many
mainline components will not be sampled.  Most all disties have minimum
p.o. amounts and I add these small orders onto larger ones generated from
my work as the opportunity presents itself. A few of these components are
allocated, i.e., the TI UCC chips,
   and the 15KP220CA is a 20.00 part, but the UCC's can still be had for a
premium in the marketplace, or sampled from TI.

I'm just using my somewhat privileged position in the electronics industry
for my own benefit and why not spread these parts about to those that don't
have this access?  Because of who I am, I ask for samples, I generally get
them, no questions asked, or very few and if these are stocked by a disty,
I generally get nice pricing because they also buy parts from us.  I think
there are those who would like to get samples but don't want to go thru the
deceit they'd need to pull it off.  Samples are meant for legitimate r&d
departments or contract manufacturers that will be later buying thousands
if the part works out, not for a personal project with no prospect of
selling more (there could be exceptions to this).  I'm just wondering how
long it's going to take these manufacturers to realize that they're getting
fleeced for bogus sample orders, it's going to change the way they operate
if they ever do decide to do something about that.  Plus, I'm making sure
the prices are minimal
    and definitely less than the Avnet's and Digi-Key's in the industry, and
no 'handling' charge.

Believe me, I'm not doing this to make money, I get that from selling 1,000
to 50,000+ components on a single p.o., not from 2 diodes.  And I don't
mind stocking commonly used components, give me a call if you have any
special requests.

John F. Cooper
Electronic Warehouse, Inc.
Irvine, CA