Re: Needed: SSTC History and Achievements

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Dan,
         For the record, I conducted a series of expts back in the
90's using a set of paralleled MOSFETs as a spark gap substitute to
investigate quenching issues. I was trying to put some of the Corum's
curious ideas on quenching to bed. The supply was 30VDC, I forget
exactly what the primary cap was. At the end of the expts, I had the
coil producing 1/2" sparks. Hardly massive by today's standards but
it was a precursor of one of the topologies mentioned. The expts are
documented in the list archives. It would have been around '96. I
sent pictures taken off the scope to several people.

      I also built a small coil which used a small SMPS as a cap
charger (conventional static gap). I sent this to someone in the
States who subsequently came over here a year later and married me
shortly after Greg delivered Electrum to its NZ home (there is hope
for lone coilers yet :). I don't recall whether I mentioned this on
the list or not.

A rather meagre contribution to SS coiling I admit.

Malcolm